Learn what are the ones to look for in your skin care products.
These oils and herbs have been used to make at home remedies for natural protection from the sun, but over the counter sunscreens work best and have been approved by the FDA.
This is a simple list of natural ingredients used in many natural skin care products for sun protection plus other skin loving benefits.
- Pomegranate – contains powerful antioxidants, reduces inflammation, nourishes the skin
- Rosehip seed oil – moisturizes skin and hair, may help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles and may have anti-aging properties
- Shea butter – moisturizes the skin, improves skin elasticity and serves as an under eye wrinkle and bag reducer, *unrefined is best, but has a strong nutty scent
- Carrot seed oil – full of antioxidants, nutritive and rejuvenating to aging skin, improves skin elasticity and skin tone, may help with dry, chapped or cracked skin just like the calendula herb
- Jojoba oil - a liquid wax that is like our own skin’s sebum a natural moisturizer, suitable for all skin types, used for dry skin, oily skin, acne, eczema, psoriasis, diaper rash, chapped skin and sunburn
- Meadowfoam oil – full of anti-oxidants, extremely emollient and deeply penetrating, may help to delay the signs of aging *Used in all my whipped body butters
- Sesame oil – full of vitamins like B6, K and E plus minerals like calcium, copper, magnesium and zinc, prevents drying and softens the skin, used in Ayurvedic treatments and aromatherapy, may absorb ultraviolet (UV) rays
- Raspberry seed oil – another anti-inflammatory oil used for eczema, rosacea and psoriasis, promotes healthy skin by preventing free radical damage cause from environmental stress, high in linoleic acid, helps to rebalance the skin’s natural oils leading to acne
Sun Sense for the Outdoors
Wear protective clothing made with sun protecting fabric (SPF) if you’re going to be in the sun for a long period of time such as gardening, swimming, sports and more. I’ve made SPF long sleeves that I wear when gardening outdoors that has this fabric and it works beautifully.
Avoid the high sun times between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm.
Always wear sunglasses to help protect the eye area from wrinkles and harmful rays.
Apply a SPF of at least 15 that’s in your facial moisturizer every day of the year. Even in the wintertime the sun’s ray can be harmful to your skin. Also, a good face protector from the blue light of our electronic devices.
Cover your hair for protection from the drying effects of the sun. The hair may become more brittle especially if your hair is treated with dyes. As an added benefit of applying lotion to your skin add a little bit to your hair therefore providing moisture and healthy luster.
Oils currently being used in my skin care products are carrot seed oil, shea butter, meadowfoam oil, jojoba and rosehip seed oil. Raspberry seed oil will be an oil added to our product line this year. Look for these ingredients in your skin care products at home.
Let me know what you use or would like to see me use in making my skin care products for you.